Who doesn’t LOVE banana bread for morning or afternoon tea? Or a late night snack?!
This baby banana bread recipe is free of added sugar, and packed with nutrition! As adults, it tastes way too bland for us, but for babies who are new to eating and enjoy having finger foods (approx. 7 months +), it is really yummy!!
There are a few options to this recipe, and you can also replace the bananas with cooked and pureed apple or pear. Make sure you choose the option that suits your family the best.
- 2 very ripe bananas.
- 2 eggs
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1.5 cups of almond meal, or wholemeal flour, or a combination of both (almond meal will make this loaf much more dense).
- Pinch of cinnamon
- ‘splash’ of cows milk, goats milk, or almond milk – (this is really for the consistency. You want it to be like a thick paste)
- Optional – 2-3 medjool dates, pitted.
- Blend banana, eggs and cinnamon (and dates if using) in the blender until smooth, pour into mixing bowl.
- Add almond meal and / or flour and baking soda to the bowl.
- Mix together and use a splash of your chosen milk if you need to alter the consistency.
- You can bake in muffin pans or a loaf pan. I like to use a loaf pan so then I can cut into finger food sized pieces. In a loaf pan lined with baking paper, place in a 180 degree oven for 20 – 30 mins (until cooked). The cooking time varies depending on wether you use almond meal or flour.
Cool, slice and let them enjoy! I also sometimes spread with some natural peanut butter… yummo!
Hint: you can make most things ‘baby friendly’ by omitting the sugar and salt options and look to use more spices for flavour. Also think about making things more nutritionally dense by using coconut flour, almond meal, nut butters and full cream greek yogurt in your baking.